Wednesday, 19 March 2014


Coming into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom, and these mighty works? 55 Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother called Mary, and his brothers, James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? 56 Aren’t all of his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all of these things?” 57 They were offended by him.
But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and in his own house.” 58 He didn’t do many mighty works there because of their unbelief. Matthew 13:54-58

I still remember the first time I led a service. I had no idea what reaction I would get.  Would the congregation accept me, or would they want me to stay in a different box?
Afterwards my husband said to me, "Well, you did you did too good a job of that not to be asked to do that again!" His prediction was spot on.  A few years later and I was invited to take part in a service at a different church, and one of the congregation asked me in a very bemused manner "How did you end up doing this?"  In his minds eye, I was still a rather shy 20 something, content to take part in group activities, but I didn't appear to have much to say...

I find the reaction of the community where Jesus grew up to be quite shocking.  Imagine having the opportunity to hear Jesus teach, and turning it down, because you can't see beyond what is familiar.  The community were blind to who Jesus actually was, deaf to his teaching, and unaware of the miracles he was performing. But their unbelief not only stopped them appreciating that Jesus was the Son of God, it also hampered his ability to perform miracles.  I am NOT saying that when miracles don't happen it is because we didn't hit the faith-o-metre hard enough.  I do however wonder how much I have restrict God's ability to work in me, because I haven't felt good enough or worthy enough...

Lord, may I be a channel of your peace and love to the people I meet.
Take my life and use if for your glory.
Amen