Monday, 24 March 2014

No longer An Orphan (Jacqueline Wilson eat your heart out!)


But when the fullness of the time came, God sent out his Son, born to a woman, born under the law, that he might redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of children. Galatians 4:4-5

My Mum died a few years ago. She had been suffering from dementia for several years, so the bereavement was gradual, as the Mum I knew slipped further away, replaced by someone who no longer even physically resembled her.  Her round chubby cheeks and smooth complexion disappeared, as the fat reserves in her body were slowly used up.  Having grown up with wartime rationing she always enjoyed her food. Mum was aware of the cruel encroaching tide of dementia and bitterly resented it.  I remember her saying at one point, all I can do is to stop eating. It was her only weapon, until she no longer remembered...
When my Mum died, my daughter announced with great pathos that I was now an orphan (thanks Jacqueline Wilson...)  

This passage in Galatians reminds us that we have been adopted, we are no longer orphans because of Jesus' death and resurrection. Don't you just love a happy ending :)