Sunday, 16 March 2014

Quiet Hills Are Waiting


I will lift up my eyes to the hills.
Where does my help come from?
 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

My friend's kitchen window faces north towards Birmingham.  I wonder what kind of view you are imagining?  
Think Birmingham, think busy, think red brick, think post-car industry regeneration?    No, think rolling green hills and a fantastic sense of peace and timelessness; of being aware that God is so much bigger than all our problems. The first time I walked into her kitchen, was a real 'wow' moment, as I looked out of the window at the view and I was reminded of the first two verses of Psalm 121.
We need green hills, to help us keep a sense of perspective.  Development is planned to link across from Brockhill to Birmingham Road.  I hope the green hills don't get developed.

Three sad things are also on my mind
Firstly the  flight MH370 - missing since Saturday 8th March,  Rumours abound  the internet - no-one can explain why the plane appears to have changed course, or to know where it is.  No-one knows what happened to the passengers or what they have experienced.  Everyone is praying for a miracle and for them to be found safe and well.
Secondly, yesterday a young lady of 21 was stabbed to death about a mile from where I live, in what appears to be a domestic incident.  A moments anger and many lives changed. Forever.
Thirdly, a 15 year old youth drowned in the Arrow Valley Park this afternoon.  A warm spring day, and high spirits led to endless recriminations. 

Where is God in all this?  Grieving with us. Waiting for us to turn to him. Turn to the green hills