Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Self-centred or Christ Centred?

Therefore you are without excuse, O man, whoever you are who judge. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself. For you who judge practice the same things. Romans 2:1

It's too difficult! 
Too hard!! 
Too demanding!!!
I shrink away from the prospect of being judged 
by the measure I use against others.
I protest and argue against the fairness of this, 
yet, as I allow the words to sink in, I see your perfect justice.
Immediately I rebel, looking for loopholes...
"O.K. I will judge no-one!  
I will NOT come to conclusion about anything.
I will opt out of any debate that condemns anyone, ever!"
Yet, if we all followed this course of action, 
there would be no-one to speak out against injustice, 
to defend those without a voice,
who have been marginalised by society...

THEN I begin to understand that it is the motivation behind my judging that matters.  
Is it from my insecurity that I reach my decisions 
or Christ's supremacy?
Any decision that is self-centred will be warped.
Any decision that is Christ-centred will be compassionate and loving.

Lord, through the power of Your Holy Spirit, 
equip me and guide me, 
so that I will not be hard-hearted and critical towards others, 
but see the good in them 
as they also are your children, 
made in your image. 
Lord, when you nudge me to speak out in your name
give me the discernment to know that it is Your words I speak
at your bidding.
Amen.