Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Apology


Sorry seems to be the hardest word https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3nScN89Klo

Why is apologising so hard?

Is it just me or does anyone else find that themselves in the situation where they have been wronged, the other person appears to find it easier to blame you, than accept responsibility for their actions?
"If you hadn't…."  " I only did, because…"  The human need for justification is so far from the Biblical understanding of justification - where instead of looking for excuses, our sins are wiped away, and it is as if we have never sinned.  We have to accept responsibility for our actions, regardless of  why we acted as we did.  God knows what happened, he doesn't need telling, and he sees the situation from every persecutive, not just the one we want him to see. There is no point in not being real with God. His desire is for us to be open, honest and willing to change to be more like Jesus.

Why is it so hard to say sorry?  Is our fear of being wrong so great that we have to deny when we are?  Taking responsibility and apologising is a strength not a weakness.  You are saying, I understand the situation, I realise that what I did or said was unhelpful, and I value our relationship too much to pretend it didn't happen.

Reflecting on all this, I decided to start today by taking responsibility for my actions. It didn't take long for me to be in trouble. Within minutes I managed to press the wrong button while attempting to turning off my husband's beeping alarm clock…Next noticed failure occurred when the taxi arrived before my daughter was ready, and I grumbled, and so the day went on.  Tomorrow is another day, will it start any better?