Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Plodding


Therefore let us also, seeing we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising its shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 

Wrestling with Romans.

Apparently this process has a technical name - Exegesis - critical explanation or interpretation.

As I plod through the questions I am aware of a great crowd of witnesses, encouraging me, urging me on question by question, as a wrestle with the concepts of obligation and adoption, slavery and salvation.  

Highlighter scars pages of notes - blue, green and orange - indicating differences.  
Around me books are piled.  Books that now naturally open at certain pages. Their structure changed for ever as witnesses to my study.

On top of the printer 'The Handbook of Bible Application" mocks me. I sought an answer within its cover, but it was not there. At least it was not where I was looking.

Clumsy disjointed sentences limp on down the page, the race they run is far from smooth, logical or direct.

All I can do is look at the cross and beg forgiveness for all I feel I should know, but have not yet understood.  

Come Holy Spirit
Bring understanding and reason to my pathetic phrases.  
So that through my groaning I will gain crystal clear awareness of all that you would have me know.