Sunday, 6 April 2014

Was Thomas The Inspiration For Marvin?


Thomas therefore, who is called Didymus, said to his fellow disciples, “Let’s go also, that we may die with him.” John 11:16

I often wonder if Douglas Adams ever looked at the character of Didymus, (or Thomas as he is usually known) when  creating  the character of Marvin the paranoid android, because I can imagine Thomas speaking in the voice used for Marvin on the Radio version of Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

This was the same Thomas who couldn't quite believe that Jesus had been raised from the dead, as he was absent the first time Jesus appeared to his disciples after his resurrection.  

Both Marvin and Thomas give me great hope.  Marvin probably once won an award for having the lowest self esteem ever…Thomas - the infamous doubter, had been with Jesus throughout his ministry and still didn't get it, until he personally encountered his risen Lord.  
Ironically, both of these characters give me hope. They make me optimistic. They help me to believe and to understand both I and my spiritual development matter to God.

Is there a bit of Marvin or Thomas in you?