Wednesday, 11 June 2014

A Call Like Paul's?


The crowd joined in attacking them, and the magistrates had them stripped of their clothing and ordered them to be beaten with rods. After they had given them a severe flogging, they threw them into prison and ordered the jailer to keep them securely.  Following these instructions, he put them in the innermost cell and fastened their feet in the stocks.  About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was an earthquake, so violent that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were unfastened. Acts 16:22-26
I want an easy life, 
not a sleazy life,
or a crawling-on-my-hands-and-kneesy sort of life.

I'm happy singing hymns, in a comfortable place,
with a steady beat of bass.
Not a cold and depressing space,

when the chains are rubbing raw,
and my wounds are so sore,
and I sit on a stone floor.

I don't deserve to be falsely accused!
Or to be physically and verbally abused
and have my rights and freedom refused.

But that's what happened to Paul,
(formerly known as Saul)
and I see there was a purpose to it all.

Can't I choose an easier sort of path,
avoiding others wrath
Is it really to much to ask?

Of me, or of you?

Lord, when the earthquake rumbles,
and my world tumbles
down
around
with a loud sound.
Despite my fear and pain
Let me be singing hymns again
and join in the celestial refrain
That the angels sing 
again.

And remember the cost
is to save the lost.