Wednesday, 15 April 2015

The true Emulsion of Ecclesiastes

As the sun fades away 
and another day draws to a close, 
it feels as if the task we have set ourselves is impossible.  
The complications unending, the pitfalls loom like quicksand, 
ready to trap and immobile us.
I decided to look for some words of wisdom in the book of Ecclesiastes...





"‘Meaningless! Meaningless!’ says the teacher. 
‘Utterly meaningless!  Everything is meaningless.’ " (1:2-3)
Right now everything feels magnolia. It surrounds me, haunts me, drifts up my nostrils. An ever-present reminder that the task is not finished.

"What do people gain from all their labours
    at which they toil under the sun?" (1:4)

Why DO we bother?  Before we began it seemed like a good idea.  Now it feels like a trap.  Painting the Forth Bridge would be more rewarding, at least I would have a view (that wasn't magnolia...)

"All things are wearisome, more than one can say." (1:8) 
Yes, I am bored.

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
 and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
    nothing was gained under the sun. (2:11)

Yes, I am disillusioned.

" ‘The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
    What then do I gain by being wise?’
I said to myself,  ‘This too is meaningless.’ " (2:15)

I am condemned to being a fool. There is no hope, but at least I can write silly messages on the walls before I paint over them (in magnolia) and I can enjoy being a fool, even if it is meaningless, but as it is meaningless, no-one will care, unless they are a tyrant.
That will not matter either, for surely even tyrants are meaningless...but do not tell them...

'So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me." (2:17-18)
Yes, this task is meaningless. A new era will come, and there will be a movement away from the monotony of mediocre magnolia, but do not tell the magnolia, for such wisdom far surpasses its imagination...

"There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:" (3:1)

Just my luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, in the magnolia season...

"So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?" (3:22)

<sigh>  I am supposed to enjoy the misery of magnolia?  Deep joy!

"And I saw that all toil and all achievement 
spring from one person’s envy of another. 
This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." (4:4)
Stop wingeing  woman!  A bit of decorating and decluttering never harmed anyone!

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labour:" (4:9)
It is true.  Teamwork works.  Where one works disillusionment sets in quickly. Where there are two you have someone to annoy, to take your mind off magnolia...Such wisdom!

As goods increase, so do those who consume them.
And what benefit are they to the owners 

except to feast their eyes on them? (5:11)
Don't mutter, declutter!  After all, it IS all meaningless...

10 Whatever exists has already been named, (6:10a)
Yes - MAGNOLIA!!!

A good name is better than fine perfume, (7:1a)
The name MAGNOLIA, is better than the odour of emulsion...true ;)

The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
    and patience is better than pride. (7:8)

Yes I WILL plod on. I cannot quit now, I will not give up. I will persevere, because I know the end WILL be worth it.  I hope....

Do not say, ‘Why were the old days better than these?’
    For it is not wise to ask such questions. (7:10)

Do not look backwards, for you can never turn back time, not for all the foolishness of man...

Wisdom is better than weapons of war,
    but one sinner destroys much good. (9:18)

I will make my peace with Magnolia - 
for actually, although I miss what it has covered,
I quite like it....






on a  tree!