Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Transformation

Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:31-32

"Well You WOULD say that, wouldn't you?  
It is easy for you on your fluffy white cloud, surround by harp-playing harpies... 
You don't have to deal with what I have to deal with...
talk about difficult people!  
Why didn't you recruit a better team for me to work with? 
You know, some really creative types, 
with clear, analytical minds to avoid any unnecessary pitfalls. 
Good organisers would be useful, 
as well as some obedient servant-types, 
to do the setting up, 
washing up, 
hoovering 
and general clearing up.  
The team you have given me to work with are absolutely useless!  
I could tell you a thing or two about THEM
..and when I have more time, I will!  
Depend on it.  
What do you mean, you already know!  
Gosh they were quick to confess. 
I didn't know their thought processes could compute at that speed....
OK. They didn't need to tell you, 
you already knew.  
Hmmm. I get your drift, 
and I reluctantly concede, 
that attempting to point score against an omniscient God, 
is a game I am unlikely to win!  
Though the fact that you already know the outcome, 
means that it is not exactly a level playing field....
Wait!  
What is this?  
You. 
Wrote. 
The.
Script?  
Well that  is hardly fair, is it?  
You have just been waiting for me to catch up...
Thanks.

Now what?  
You want me to be KIND?  
Isn't that just a tincey wincey bit soppy? 
Can't we leave that to the gushers?  
OK, maybe gushers isn't the most diplomatic choice of words,  
..and I agree compassion doesn't have to be in tidal waves, 
more of an emotional response to a tug of the heart.  
Yes, I have a heart, 
you made me with one, remember? 
Hmmm, you are just checking it is working? 
You are so kind....

You know, God, as I am sat here chatting to you, 
and being rather more honest about myself than I would normally dare to be, 
I feel as if I am being changed, 
dare I say it transformed, 
by your love.  
I am starting to understand that this is what you want me to be.
To be like you.  
Not harsh and critical, 
but gentle and understanding. 
Not rushing in, and devastating with a brutal assessment, 
but gently letting me see how things could be, 
and encouraging me. 
This is how you want me to be towards others, 
so that they can see you,
living in me. 
Thank you that you forgive me, 
help me to forgive others too.
Amen.