Sunday, 20 September 2015

The Way

The way - a film staring Martin Sheen or a choice we make?
This was the question I asked myself, as I sat in the Conference Room at Holland House on Saturday evening, while watching a film...

As the story of the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage unfolded, I was struck by the parallels between the Readers' Weekend I was attending and the story the film told.

Just as the pilgrims travelled from diverse locations before commencing the trail, so we had to leave our homes before our weekend could begin.

Like the film, the group was diverse, and we gathered solely for the purpose of journeying.  Some had gathered many times before.  Some only travelled part of the way with us.


Food played an important part as we shared together, meeting familiar faces, as well as getting to know those we had not met before.

The scenery was not as stunning as the landscape that provided the backdrop to the film, but it had its own charm, with the River Avon providing the western boundary to the beautiful gardens.











There are numerous chapels and holy places on the trail, and so we gathered at regular points during our weekend, to draw close to God, through corporate prayer and personal reflection

All journeys must come to an end and so we departed, like the pilgrims returning to our separate homes, delighted to reflect on all we had learnt and experienced, remembering the laughter, feasting and comradeship we had shared.

Just one problem, I have no idea where I left my jacket. I hope it didn't fall in the river...