Saturday, 21 November 2015

The end of the road

February 2007, and I was browsing the net looking for an online prayer group.  I had heard that such things existed, but I was uncertain as to how this would work.  However, in order to engage with the group I had to pick a name by which I would be known...  I looked at the names of those posting...there already was a Peace Rose and I think a Christmas Rose. I can't remember the exact name of the 2nd Rose, but I figured that two 'Roses' were sufficient.  Looked outside and saw a daffodil and the rest, as they say, is history!  I never intended to stay a 'Daffodil'. I thought the name was OK until I thought of a better one, not realising that I would be stuck with the name of that bright and brash spring bloom....

September 2007...
"I can't believe that after all the times you have warned me about internet safety, that you are going to meet a load of strangers off the internet..." was the verdict of our son, as we set off down to the naval base at Yeovilton for our first meet, passing armed guards on the way in.  Avatars were transformed into people, as we transmogrified from our virtual selves into the people we were.  Most of us were quiet introverts, with a few extroverts added in to enliven the mix.  The day included a tour of the base by minibus, which the driver enlivened by pretended to be a harrier jump jet taking off.  Luckily he put the brakes on before we reached the end of the runway.... (Tina will correct me if the mists of time corrupt the memories of the day...)
On the way home Daflet 4 quietly pondered on the events of the day..."So where exactly is St Pixels?" she asked...

When I joined Pix I was looking for a social network as much as a church.  I never thought I would bother with the worship, but soon it became a regular part of my daily routine.  Before long I was helping to lead the worship...  The chatroom was always open and there were lots of interesting people to meet and lively conversation.  I would sit at my computer, roaring with laughter, to my husband's irritation. In the end the only way he could regain some sanity was to join....





Spring 2008 and the Humphrey family roll up to their first residential weekend at Morley, accompanied by 40+ people we have never met, 6 we have, and a film crew.... What a fantastic time we had and what lovely people we met!








Meets numerous and varied followed - Kew, Crich, Eden, Cheshire,  Oxford, Aylesbury, Buckfast...Wherever you went, you were never far from a Pixie or two, so it wasn't hard to organise a meet.






However software doesn't last, and Facebook has largely filled the gap that once St. Pix bridged. We have tried to keep pace with changing software, but St Pix chatroom is retiring, its duty done.  The last service will take place on Sunday evening, so I do hope that those who have been party of the community will roll up, and give thanks for the road we have travelled together.The last service will be Sunday 9pmGMT repeated 6 hours later for USA/Australia The chatroom can be found here 






What does the future hold?  We will still exist, as a vague network of friends, connected through the Facebook page for the foreseeable future. Beyond that who knows?  Meanwhile I have met some amazing people, made some great friends, had a great deal of fun, and learnt a huge amount about God, formally and informally, my faith has grown and I gained a much broader understanding of church.