Sunday, 14 February 2016

Come Away With Me

This evening I was at St Peter's church. The readings were from Jonah Chapter 3 (a nation repents), and the Story of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector Luke 18:9-14.
The talk contrasted the different attitudes of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector,
one so full of self importance and the other so aware of just how far he had fallen short of perfection.

Pondering on the difference between the two,
I had to ask myself
"How much like the Tax Collector
was I?
How much of me
is filled with my thoughts
and opinions...?
How much space is left
available for God?

It suddenly stuck me that Lent
is a time for emptying myself
of self-centredness,
so that I can make space
for the Holy Spirit
to fill me,
change me,
equip me.

As I write this
I am attempting to download
the beautiful album Rise by Jules Woodbridge,
as I want to hear the track - Come away with me,
yet have I got enough memory left on my computer?
Is there sufficient space to enable me to download and play this song?
Ironic!

Yes, and the song is a worship song, a love song.
But IF I love God,
then I need to Come Away With Him,
worship him
and allow the period of Lent to restore me.
...and that means letting go of that which I have counted as important,
and allow God to reveal to me that which He thinks is important.