Friday, 4 March 2016

Introspection, contrition and Resolution.

O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.  Psalm 69:5

Look in the mirror and you see, every wrinkle and dimple.
I turn my head in search of 'my better side'
only to deride
myself, for my vain,
misguided foolishness.
If I am honest there is no difference between my good side
and the other side,
for both are equally unspectacular!



Look in the spiritual mirror
and every human foible and weakness is no longer concealed
as God reveals
more than I would want to see
or acknowledge.
My overthinking and introspection
leads to clumsy conversations.
Words, that in my head were reasoned and logical,
translate into blunt weapons.
Yet when I am required to speak truth,
I decline.
Reluctant to be the one
to whom conflict can be attributed.
Fearful of offending.
The worst of both worlds.
Lord give me the grace to trust you in all things,
not to worry when things do not appear to be as I expect,
to believe that in the grander scheme of things,
you can work for good in all,
no matter how unlikely I consider the outcome.
I am reminded again that
Your ways and my ways can only be the same,
when I allow you to be my guide.
You ways can only be my ways,
when I trust in you
and allow your thoughts to freely shape my thoughts.
Instead of constantly constraining them
by the limitations of human expectation.
Lord, give me the grace to forgive others,
as I hope others will have the grace to forgive me.

O God, thou knowest my foolishness; 
and my sins are not hid from thee. (Psalm 69:5)

I can fool others, I can fool myself, but I can never fool you.
All things are known to you,
and even our limited capacity for understanding,
is a gift from you.

Hear me, O Lord; for thy lovingkindness is good: 
turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies. (Psalm 69:16

Amen.