Sunday, 6 August 2017

Glassy Conversations

On Wednesday afternoon we found ourselves in the unenviable position of considering renaming our home 'Spring House', as water suddenly began bubbling up from one of the corners at the front of our house.  After ten rather worrying hours the water board appeared and solved the problem. The water sorted, we headed off to the coast....

Saturday was sunny and I spent a few hours happily wandering around the beach collecting sea glass. Occasionally I get the odd person commenting on my haul, usually it is fellow collectors.  However for some reason today I was being interrogated by men...

Man 1 "Are you collecting stones? Here is one for your collection."
Me "No, I am collecting sea glass," and show him the zip and seal bag containing my treasures.
Man 1 "I collect stones, and then I get a hot glue gun and stick them on to a glass tree."
Me - "Oh lovely."  Meanwhile, I am thinking I really hope the end result looks better than it sounds...

Man 2 (American) "What are you collecting?"
Me - "Sea glass" and I show him the same zip and seal bag.
Man 2 "Ah green stones... What are you going to do with them?"
Me "They will go in a jar on my windowsill to remind me of my holiday."

Later on my travels around the beach, I encounter the first man again. He looks at my collection.
Man 1 "If those were emeralds I would have to mug you..."
Me  "Fortunately they are just sea glass." 

The American greets me again. 
Man 2 "You have got a good collection there.  I have started my daughter collecting sea glass too. Have you got on words of advice for her?"
Me (think, yes, make sure you don't wear a low cut top...)  "Just tell her to keep looking. You only see the glass when it catches the light, so you do turn round and walk back over ground you have covered and you will see glass that you didn't notice the first time."

Today we went to another beach, and no-one commented on my collecting.
Now I will wait until we are home, to discover what is real glass, and what is mere imitation.